Are you interested in buying a home security camera but have no idea what to buy?
We all strive to feel safe in our home. Unfortunately, according to statistics, homes are broken into each day, and most homes are violated while the family is on vacation, or away from their home. I always feel it’s better to be prepared than wishing you would have bought a security camera before something happened. Below are some lists of different home security features that may help you narrow down your search.
Quick Links to our Top 5 Lists
- A List of the Top Home Security Cameras
- The Best Smart Door Locks
- A List of the Top Home Security Camera Systems
- Best Wireless Doorbells with a camera
- The Best Wireless Camera Security Systems with a DVR
- The Top Outdoor WIFI Security Cameras
Benefits of Having a Home Security Camera
One of the biggest benefits of a smart home is being able to know what’s going on when you’re not actually there. In addition, the cost of a security camera or camera system has really come down in price. Usually, you can have a couple of cameras in your home for under $200. Beyond just added security, there are numerous benefits to adding a home security camera to your home. By having these wireless cameras in your home can bring an added piece of mind. Especially, if you have pets that you would like to check in on. It’s nice being on vacation and being able to take a quick look around the house to make sure everything is safe and sound.
The capabilities vary from camera to camera, but security cameras will allow you to monitor what’s going on in your house through live or recorded video. For instance, the Nest Cam IQ offers face-recognition technology, which helps eliminate needless alerts. Remember, not all cameras are equal in features or abilities. Some have alarms or can send you notifications when they detect activity, some offer two-way audio, some are meant to monitor your baby, and some even double as full-on home automation hubs.
The best cameras will allow you to check in from anywhere, whether it’s an app on your phone or a web browser.
The main thing you want to do when searching for home security is to find the right system for you. You don’t want to spend money on a variety of features you are never going to use.
I recommend making a quick list of what features are most important to you, for example:
- Wireless Security Camera or Wired
- Outdoor Camera vs. Indoor Camera
- Doorbell camera
- DVR to Record
- Number of Rooms to be monitored
- Image Quality (1080p)
- Cloud Storage
- Number of Rooms you want to monitor
In addition, I recommend checking out one of the lists I’ve created to see what some of the top-selling wireless cameras are. Then, read the reviews and see what others liked or didn’t like.
Our Top 3 Recommended Home Security Cameras
- Quick and easy setup: Plug in the Google Nest Cam and download the Nest app to get started. No hub needed.
- Alerts on your phone: get activity alers so you know if anything happens while you're away.
- Talk and listen: see who's there and talk back to get someone's attention.
- 24/7 live video: 130 Degree view shows your home in 1080P HD, day and night.
- Clear as day, even at night: night vision evenly illuminates the whole room.
- 100 percent Wire free Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- 1080p HD High quality video with sharper and brighter details
- Flexible Powering Options Use wire free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery
- Weatherproof Pro cameras are weatherproof so you can place them anywhere indoors and out
- 7 Days of Free Cloud Recordings Pro comes with recurring 7 day free cloud recordings. Live stream or view recorded video and audio for up to 7 days
- DUAL-BAND ULTRA-HD – This 5ghz/2.4ghz Dualband WiFi IP camera features magnificent 2K / 3MP (2304x1296P at 20fps | 1080P at 30fps) video with superior low light capability utilizing the Aptina AR0330 image sensor and Ambarella S3LM chipset. Extra-wide 90° viewing angle as well as remote pan/tilt and digital zoom allow you to cover more ground and keep more of what matters to you safe. Works with Alexa through AmcrestCloud.
- SMARTER SECURITY – Receive motion alert notifications, review footage and engage in two-way communication via your smartphone with the Amcrest View app. Playback and record professionally on a PC using Amcrest Surveillance Pro for Windows and MAC (included) or Blue Iris Professional. Works with Amcrest Cloud remote video storage, MicroSD card, Amcrest NVRs, Synology and QNAP NAS, FTP, Pale Moon (32bit) & SeaMonkey Browsers, IE, Safari 11, Firefox 49.0 and Chrome with Amcrest Web View Extension.
- DAY OR NIGHT, QUALITY ASSURED – Featuring an Onsemi Aptina 1/3” 3.4MP superior low-light image sensor and built-in IR LEDs this WiFi camera achieves industry leading nightvision up to 32 feet. Not all WiFi IP cameras are built the same and our Texas based team with over 10 years of WiFi camera experience has guaranteed the out-performance of this camera by using the highest quality components in order to deliver the ultimate best in class 2K/3MP dual-band pan/tilt WiFi camera experience.
- SECURE CLOUD VIDEO BACKUP – The optional Amcrest Cloud remote video storage subscription service allows you automatically store your videos off-site in a third-party location hosted and secured by Amazon AWS. This way if something happens to your local PC/NVR/SDcard/NAS, the footage will be safely recorded in a secure off-site location and accessible to you through a web-based Flash interface for PC (Windows & MAC) (Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Edge) and AmcrestCloud smartphone app.
- SIMPLE. RELIABLE. SECURE. - This Amcrest Dualband wireless security camera features a secure SSL/HTTPS connection, wireless AES/WPA2 encryption, FCC Certificate, UL Compliant Power Supplies, and receives regular security firmware updates (Supports both 5ghz/2.4ghz). At Amcrest, we want to ensure the safety of our customers, their loved ones, homes, and businesses and you’ll receive a full 1-year US Warranty and Lifetime Support provided directly from Amcrest.
9 Surprising Home Security Facts
Last update on 2020-02-20 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure