Are you interested in buying a home security camera but have no idea what to buy?
We all strive to feel safe in our home. Unfortunately, according to statistics, homes are broken into each day, and most homes are violated while the family is on vacation, or away from their home. I always feel it’s better to be prepared than wishing you would have bought a security camera before something happened. Below are some lists of different home security features that may help you narrow down your search.
Quick Links to our Top 5 Lists
- A List of the Top Home Security Cameras
- The Best Smart Door Locks
- A List of the Top Home Security Camera Systems
- Best Wireless Doorbells with a camera
- The Best Wireless Camera Security Systems with a DVR
- The Top Outdoor WIFI Security Cameras
Benefits of Having a Home Security Camera
One of the biggest benefits of a smart home is being able to know what’s going on when you’re not actually there. In addition, the cost of a security camera or camera system has really come down in price. Usually, you can have a couple of cameras in your home for under $200. Beyond just added security, there are numerous benefits to adding a home security camera to your home. By having these wireless cameras in your home can bring an added piece of mind. Especially, if you have pets that you would like to check in on. It’s nice being on vacation and being able to take a quick look around the house to make sure everything is safe and sound.
The capabilities vary from camera to camera, but security cameras will allow you to monitor what’s going on in your house through live or recorded video. For instance, the Nest Cam IQ offers face-recognition technology, which helps eliminate needless alerts. Remember, not all cameras are equal in features or abilities. Some have alarms or can send you notifications when they detect activity, some offer two-way audio, some are meant to monitor your baby, and some even double as full-on home automation hubs.
The best cameras will allow you to check in from anywhere, whether it’s an app on your phone or a web browser.
The main thing you want to do when searching for home security is to find the right system for you. You don’t want to spend money on a variety of features you are never going to use.
I recommend making a quick list of what features are most important to you, for example:
- Wireless Security Camera or Wired
- Outdoor Camera vs. Indoor Camera
- Doorbell camera
- DVR to Record
- Number of Rooms to be monitored
- Image Quality (1080p)
- Cloud Storage
- Number of Rooms you want to monitor
In addition, I recommend checking out one of the lists I’ve created to see what some of the top-selling wireless cameras are. Then, read the reviews and see what others liked or didn’t like.
Our Top 3 Recommended Home Security Cameras
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- DON'T MISS A THING WITH NEST ALERTS: Whether the kids just came home from school or the dog has decided to eat those new pillows you just bought; the Nest Cam sees it all! Get alerts through your Nest App whenever the camera detects movement and activity. And the coolest part is that the Nest Cam can tell the difference between movement from say a hand getting into a cookie jar, and a person entering a room. Person Alerts and Activity Alerts can help keep your home safe even if you aren't there.
- BE HEARD WITH NEST: Nest Cam Indoor has a built-in speaker and mic, so you can hear what's happening at home. Or tell the dog to get off the couch.
- SET IT UP ANYWHERE: The compact size of the Nest Cam makes installation a breeze. Nest Cam Indoor's stand works in all kinds of homes, on all types of surfaces. Set it down on something flat, like a table or shelf. The Nest Cam has a built-in magnet so you can stick it to something metallic. Use the removable wall plate to attach Nest Cam to a wall. Or you can unscrew the camera from the base and attach it to any standard tripod mount.
- WORKS WITH NEST: Nest has worked hard to design thoughtful devices to help keep you safe and secure. Nest devices not only communicate with each other but also with the other smart devices around your home. Your Nest Secure can use your smart light bulbs to help get your attention in the event of an emergency; your smart washer and dryer can take the data from Nest and run the next load of laundry when energy demand is low. Look for the Works with Nest badge and let Nest handle the rest.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- 100% Wireless Camera - Free of power cords and wiring hassles. Operating temperature 32 degree to 122 degree Fahrenheit
- 1080p HD Wireless security camera system with night vision - High quality video with sharper and brighter details. Night Vision turns on automatically in low light so you can see clearly, even in the dark
- Flexible Powering Options - Use wire-free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery. Night vision : 850 nm LEDs: illuminates up to 25 feet. IR cut-off filter
- Weather-resistant - Arlo Pro cameras are weather-resistant so you can place them indoor or outdoor.Video Capture Resolution : Configurable up to 1280 x 720
9 Surprising Home Security Facts
Last update on 2018-11-17 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure